Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Some life and some death

Sadly we lost a pet last week (didn't want to write about it during our petsitting). Topsy, one of our sugar gliders passed away. It was a shock since they are a long lived pet, but we never knew her age exactly when we adopted her. I'm looking into ensuring their diet included everything, but I don't think diet was the cause. Turvy, our remaining one, is doing fine and seems healthy. We're taking the opportunity now to really try to bond with her and get her more adapted to us human companions, and then maybe later we'll try introducing a younger glider. They are very social animals that can die from neglect, so it's a serious undertaking. Turvy's coming around though. She crabs less and has always taken food from us. When I'm home I grab her pouch and stuff her in a homemade fleece carrier I wear. It has a larger pouch for her sleeping pouch and covers my shoulders so if she gets out and feels like marking any territory, I'm covered. Snug as a bug.

We buried Topsy under our fig tree, with a pretty Celtic stepping stone as a marker.

On the total flip side, we have baby finches that have hatched! We hear "Peep Peep Peeps!" throughout the day, and my last sneak peak in showed at least one more egg that's due to hatch. I'm holding off on their plexiglass cleaning until they're all hatched (don't want to freak the birds out and risk breaking an egg). The funny thing about these baby birds is I'm not really sure who the parents are. So far there are 3 birds sharing the duty: 2 society finches and one of the spice finches. I could very well be getting "Spice-eties" chicks, we'll just have to wait and see. The nest is pretty deep and dark so haven't gotten a good look, but I'd have to assume they're looking a little like ET right about now anyway. The cuteness comes later :)

So the circle of life is going full speed at our place. We'll miss Topsy a lot, but we're also looking forward to meeting our new babies.

No comments: